Saturday, October 8, 2011

Banana Bread (gluten & dairy free)

When I decide to make banana cake I don't go to the fruit shop in search of bananas that look like this.


I go in search of bananas that look like THIS. These were only $4.99 a kilo and perfect for baking with so I got nearly a whole kilo and froze some for next time!


This was part of my foray into gluten and dairy-free baking - a banana bread recipe from The Australian Women's Weekly "Gluten-free & Allergy-free Eating." You can find a link to the recipe >>here<<. This one also happens to be wheat, yeast and egg-free!

What DOES it contain? A whole lot of mashed banana and some brown sugar make a lovely start.


I very nearly forgot to add baking powder, but a final moment of thoughtfulness saved me from a very flat cake. The dark colour of the batter comes from the linseed, sunflower and almond meal (LSA). I didn't even know this stuff existed before, but it's pretty amazing, and I get the impression it might even be good for you.


Here's the baked product. It cracked a little when I turned it out, but I was just glad I got that baking powder in at the last minute!


This tasted really good. Very moist from all the banana (yum) and vegetable oil, and the LSA gives it a lot of substance. I would happily serve this up again, even if my guests didn't particularly need to avoid dairy, gluten, wheat, yeast or eggs :)

No comments:

Post a Comment